Located 28 miles east of Rock Springs lies on of Sweetwater County’s most historic places: the Point of Rocks Stage Station. The station was built as a resting place at the meeting point for the Overland Trail and the Union Pacific Railroad.
Built in the early 1860’s, between the earlier Black Buttes and Salt Wells stations, which were 28 miles apart, the station served the stage line from 1862 to 1868. In 1868 the Union Pacific line reached Point of Rocks, putting the stage line out of business.
The station then became a freight depot for nearby mines, with a road leading to Atlantic City and South Pass. The freight activity declined, and in 1877 the station became a residence. At one point it is to have housed Jim McKee, a former member of the Hole in the Wall Gang. It became the property of the state of Wyoming in 1947 and is administered as Point of Rocks Stage Station State Historic Site.
Point of Rocks Station was built next to the alkaline Bitter Creek in a valley framed by steep cliffs. The station, a low one-story building, was constructed of sandstone from the area with mud mortar.
The station has caught fire at least once. The roof is constructed out of a timber structure with metal covering. A stable building is nearby. Close to Interstate 80, the station allows for site seers to quickly stop and view this magnificent piece of history.
The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1970.