Here are this morning’s most recent headlines from Wyo4News with links to the stories impacting your life in Sweetwater County.
- BLM fighting wildfire at Encampment River: The Bureau of Land Management High Desert District, Rawlins Field Office, in coordination with Encampment Fire Department, is fighting a wildfire approximately 1 mile southeast of Encampment, WY, which has burned an estimated 200 acres. A unified command has been established. More information here.
- 16th Annual Always a Cowboy Event Set for September 8th: The University of Wyoming track & field and cross country program will host its 16th annual Always a Cowboy memorial event on Friday, Sept. 8 from 3:30-6 p.m. at UW’s Memorial 8 track at the Louis S. Madrid Sports Complex. The annual event is held in honor of the eight Cowboy harriers who tragically passed away in an automobile accident on US-287 on Sept. 16, 2001. More information here.
- Car Seat Inspection Event Set For August 26: The Child Passenger Safety Program, which includes Wyoming Safe Kids, Sweetwater County Fire Department #1, Rock Springs Fire Department, Highway Patrol, and Green River Fire Department, is holding a car seat inspections at Flaming Gorge Harley Davidson. More information here.
- Drones, What You Need To Know Before You Fly: Whether for personal use or business, the use of drones is becoming more popular around the world. More information here.
- Green River Chamber Welcomes New CEO: The Green River Chamber of Commerce welcomed a new CEO this week. More information here.
- Memorial Hospital Of Sweetwater County Earns Top Quality Award: It’s official. On Aug. 10, 2017, Mountain-Pacific Quality Health recognized Memorial Hospital of Sweetwater County with a 2017 Hospital Quality Excellence Award. More information here.
- BLM Kemmerer Field Office Invites Public To 2017 National Helping Hands Day: On Thursday, Aug. 31, the Bureau of Land Management Kemmerer Field Office invites families, individuals, and organizations to help clean up the “Badlands” area outside of Mountain View. This event is part of an early celebration of National Public Lands Day (NPLD). More information here.
Trump announces plan to increase U.S. presence in Afghanistan: President Donald Trump announced on Monday night his administration’s plans to increase the presence of the United States military in Afghanistan, a strategy meant to combat the influence of the Taliban and the ISIS affiliate in the country that will forgo a formal timetable and instead rely upon “conditions on the ground” to guide U.S. activities. More information here.
Suspected driver in Barcelona attack shot and killed, appeared to be wearing explosive belt: Spanish authorities announced that Younes Abouyaaqoub [YOU-nis Abu Ah-koob], the suspected driver in a deadly vehicle attack in Barcelona that killed 13 people, was shot and killed Monday. He was wearing what appeared to be an explosive belt at the time, police said. More information here.