Rain gauges in Rock Springs pick up several inches on Wednesday, more rain in the forecast

0
93

 

Tyler Johnson, [email protected]

ROCK SPRINGS, WYOMING (July 29, 2021) – The damaging thunderstorm that hit Sweetwater County, specifically Rock Springs, caused flooding to roadways and some homes Wednesday evening.

Advertisement 

 

Advertisement 

 

Advertisement 

 

Advertisement 

 

Advertisement 

 

Advertisement 

 

Advertisement 

 

Advertisement 

 

Advertisement 

 

Advertisement 

 

 

According to U.S. National Weather Service meteorologist Ralph Estell, some areas around Rock Springs received over one inch of rainfall in a short amount of time, which contributed to the flash floods in the area.

Rock Springs resident Jill Flores, who lives on Magnolia Drive near White Mountain Library, reported to Wyo4News that her rain gauge picked up 2.1 inches.

Estell said that 1.22 inches of rain was accumulated about seven miles southeast of town.

The rain gauge at the Sweetwater County Fire District No. 1 on College Drive reported 0.22 inches of rainfall. The rain gauge at the Southwest Wyoming Regional Airport reported 0.04 inches.

Advertisement 

 

Advertisement 

 

Advertisement 

 

Advertisement 

 

Advertisement 

 

Advertisement 

 

Advertisement 

 

Advertisement 

 

Advertisement 

 

Advertisement 

 

 

However, Estell said it’s difficult to determine the exact amount of rainfall because of the distance between the two rain gages.

With a 30% chance of rain Thursday afternoon and a nearly 70% chance Friday evening, Estell said another flash flood could be in the future.

He said it all depends on the location of the roadways and homes, as well as where the storm is. “Just keep an eye out and stay prepared,” Estell said.

Sweetwater County Emergency Management, in coordination with Sweetwater County Sheriff’s Office and Sweetwater County Search and Rescue, and with assistance from the Sweetwater County Fire Department, the Bureau of Land Management, Rock Springs Fire Department and Rock Springs Police Department, distributed nearly 1,000 sandbags to residents in the areas of Rock Springs hardest hit by flooding during Wednesday’s intense storm.

Advertisement 

 

Advertisement 

 

Advertisement 

 

Advertisement 

 

Advertisement 

 

Advertisement 

 

Advertisement 

 

Advertisement 

 

Advertisement 

 

Advertisement 

 

Advertisement 

 

Advertisement 

 

Advertisement 

 

Advertisement 

 

Advertisement 

 

Advertisement 

 

Advertisement 

 

Advertisement 

 

Advertisement 

 

Advertisement