RSFD releases information on Saturday’s structure fires

0
967

Wyo4News Staff, [email protected]

ROCK SPRINGS, WYOMING (August 3, 2020) — The Rock Springs Fire Department has released the following statement regarding a structure fire that took place over the weekend:

“On Saturday, August 1 at 3:06 pm, the Rock Springs Fire Department was dispatched to a report of a structure fire at 3208 Dewar Drive #205, in the Village at Silver Ridge.

Initial reports indicated that a sprinkler system had been activated via the report by the alarm monitoring company. Upon arrival, responding crews gained access to apartment 205, noting that the fire had been extinguished by the sprinkler activation. Crews stopped the water flow at the head and checked for any remaining hot spots and possible extension to adjacent apartment units and the apartment immediately above the fire floor. No damage or fire extension was found. The cause of the fire was determined to be an unattended grill on the balcony.

The fire suppression system was tagged out of service and the management of the apartment facility was given instructions to maintain a fire watch until such time as the fire suppression system could be repaired and brought back into normal operation. 

[bsa_pro_ad_space id=64]

 

At 7:58 pm on the same day, the Rock Springs Fire Department was dispatched to 3208 Dewar Drive – this time for a report of a fire in apartment 104, in the same building as the earlier incident. The property management staff at Silver Ridge was conducting fire watch rounds as per the earlier direction of the Fire Department when they heard a smoke alarm coming from apartment 104.

After knocking and receiving no answer, they called 911 and ran to get keys for the unit. Upon opening the door a small patch of carpet was burning from an unattended candle that had fallen and caught the carpet and a mirror frame on fire.

Property management extinguished the fire with a portable extinguisher. When the Fire Department arrived the unit was checked for hot spots and a vent fan used to evacuate smoke from the apartment.

In both instances, Rock Springs Fire Department responded with three apparatus and nine personnel. Sweetwater County Fire District 1 was placed on standby as a precaution during the 2nd response as the fire sprinkler system was out of service. The suppression of the first fire by the automatic sprinkler system can be credited with saving the property of the tenants and the entire building.

A similar fire in the eastern United States last week in an un-sprinklered property resulted in the loss of 100 apartment units and all of the tenants’ property. Likewise, the Fire Watch by Silver Ridge Property Management prevented the spread of a second fire that – if left undetected – would have consumed the entire building,  as well as damaging those nearby.

The Rock Springs Fire would like to thank Silver Ridge Property Management for their vigilance and early detection of the second fire – which otherwise would have resulted in possible loss of life and millions of dollars in property loss.

The Rock Springs Fire Department reminds everyone to be extremely careful with all open flames – especially candles. Candle fires are reported on average 25 times each day of the year and are responsible for 32% of all fire deaths and 47% of associated injuries. Please be sure to blow out all candles before leaving the room. It is recommended that battery-powered candles be used in lieu of regular candles on all occasions.”

[bsa_pro_ad_space id=18]